Friday, September 25, 2009

Tuesday 9-22-09------Friday 9-25-09 Colorado

Red Mountain


Avalance Shelter

Black Caynon














True Grit Cafe, Ridgeway, Colorada



















Museum in Telluride





We left Lake City on Tuesday morning heading to Ouray, Colorado by way of the WalMart in Montrose and the True Grit Cafe in Ridgeway. The movie True Grit starring John Wayne was filmed in Ridgeway. We had a great lunch and then traveled into Ouray.
Wednesday Jim & Nan Cooper and Larry and I went to Telluride. I have heard so much about it that I wanted to be able to say we had been there. We visited a museum which was the towns hospital from 1888-1964. The first bank that Butch Cassidy ever robbed was in Telluride. We took a gondola ride up to the Mountain Village and had lunch. The gondola was opened in 1996.
Some of our group did some more off road jeeping and had some problems with the trails, which made me even more thankful that I did not go.
Thursday, Larry and I took a day trip to the Black Caynon National Park over between Montrose and Gunnison. The park is the Colorado version of the Grand Caynon. The Gunnison River is what created the caynon. Water is a powerful force.
Friday morning we geared up for the 23 mile trip from Ouray to Silverton by way of Red Mountain Pass, 11018 feet. on the Million Dollar Highway. Talk about white knuckles. Larry did a great job of driving but it was not confortable at all. We met 2 semi trucks plus a lot of cars. The road is very narrow and lots of time no guard rails on either side. I am very glad that trip is over. I saw my first avalance shelter and lots of old mines.
Tomorrow, Saturday is going to be a down day for us. Some of the group is going jeeping again. I am going to do a little shopping as well.























1 comment:

That Christine said...

Yes, I have definately been following your blog. This pass is going on my list of "Do Not Attempt" this route. We did one like that in Utah and we both nearly died from fright!