Saturday, March 8, 2008

What an exciting week!!!! March 8,2008


Oh my what a week we have experienced. We started off on Monday morning meeting with the powers that be from Habitat. Along with us "kids" (they call us old folks the kids) and a group of about 18 college students (they are called the young adults) from Boston College we started working. Of course most of you know that Larry and two other guys built our house but this old gal has never hammered a nail except to hang a picture. Well let me tell you, I know how to hammer a nail now. Linda, Peggy and I worked on helping frame a house . We have three outside walls up and three inside walls up and will continue to work next week on the same house with another group of "young adults" who will arrive tomorrow from Penn. State. We will have to teach some of them how to work also, as some of the ones from Boston were as bad as I was to start with.

Larry, Jim and the other Jim, were put to work on another house doing siding and oh I forgot, some drywall which is Larry's most favorite thing to do. They had some boys helping them also. I think Larry said this next week they would be putting cabinets in. He is having a wonderful time and enjoying himself as this is what he loves to do.

We have met two of the families who will be getting houses here. They have been here working their "sweat equity" as it is called. The stories of these people is very heart breaking but they have a great attitude. They have to work and prove that they are worthy of getting these houses and have to take care of them and pay for them. One of the people from Habitat said they have only had to foreclose on one house so far.

We are going to New Orleans tomorrow since Peggy,Jim, Larry and I have never been. Linda and Jim are going to be our tour guides.

Last night we went out and had shrimp and crawfish. It was really good.



I will try and post pictures when I can get my husband to download from the camara.

Mem

No comments: